Monday, August 15, 2011

Still Alive!


Today I am supposed to be dead... or at least dying.  Maybe it wouldn't have been until this evening, but it didn't happen.  Today is the last day of my 6 month prognosis.  The doctors at U of M originally gave me 6 months to live back in February.  That has since changed, but this day is a day that HB and I have been counting down for months now.  Dreading, terrified of, and trying to prolong.  But, as the song above suggests, I'm still alive.  STILL ALIVE.  

I woke up this morning with happy, sappy tears in my eyes.  I saw HB off to work, and then I made myself a celebratory pork chop for breakfast.  My buddy Wayne was coming down to get on the train, so I drank some coffee on the front porch with him, and then I dropped him off.  I went to Meijer to get some groceries for dinner tonight, and I just beamed.  I was just in a really happy mood.  I never smile when I go to the store, it's one of my least favorite things to do.  I got my stuff for lasagna tonight, and what I needed for a cake for desert.

By the time I was home, I had realized that my happiness couldn't overwhelm my energy level, and in the excitement I had worn myself out a bit.  Woops.  Tonight, I'm making lasagna for dinner (one of my favorite meals) and a baking a cake in honor of the event.  It will be great.  

HB and I had originally kicked around the idea of a party, but neither of us had the time or energy to plan it, and it was going to be difficult to find a place where people for all sorts of locations could come.  We were going to call it the "Ron beat Death Extravaganza".  So I guess that's what the cake and lasagna will be tonight.  Now I'm off to go get some tomatoes from the garden to start on lasagna.

A note on the song, it's the end credits song for a video game called "Portal".  The voice is the villain in the game who is a computer that is leading you through a laboratory trying to kill you (Think HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey)

5 comments:

  1. YEAHHHH!!!!!!!! This is triumphant!!! Thank you for making us treasure our time here as much as you do. You are truly an inspiration, my friend! Here's to many more days, months, and years of BEATING death!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so proud to call you "son". You are truly an inspiration to every person that has ever crossed paths with you. Your dad and I are with you and HB in thoughts & prayers as you celebrate this milestone. Eat some lasagna for me you know it my favorite too!!! You must have gotten your good taste from your mom. We love you, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron, I know you don't know me but I am Jessica Hutchinson's mom (Diane). She has shared with me a little about the road you have been traveling on and I have to tell you that I admire your spirit. I will continue to keep you in prayer. ~ Diane Hutchinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, I am a long time friend of your mom's from Holland. I've known you since you were born!! I am so sorry to hear about the battle you are fighting and happy to hear the doctors were wrong about the prognosis. You got that stubborness from your mom! Anything to prove people wrong and thank God you are like that! You will be in my daily prayers from here on out!

    Crissie DeKraker
    Holland, MI

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world is a far better place w/ Ron Clark in it. Let's just keep it that way...

    ReplyDelete