Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homecoming

I'm still trying to come to terms with just how serious this could have been.  I mean, I needed someone else's blood to keep me from dying.  That's not something that happens on a typical day.  Thanks to all of you who made comments and said that you currently do, or are now planning on donating blood.  You could very well be saving the life of someone just like me, and it's not even very difficult.  You are my heroes.

My mom, brother, sister, and cousin Josh came down to visit me at the hospital yesterday.  I had a pretty good idea that I would be discharged, so my mom made my favorite, her macaroni and cheese.  They also brought me down a bunch of other goodies to keep my tummy full.  It was great to just sit and talk with them and HB while we were waiting to find out my fate.  I finally got discharged around 4:30 or so, and they drove me home, while HB picked up the dogs from Dustin's house.  Thanks to Dustin and Carrie for helping take care of the dogs for us while I was out of commission.

We came back and warmed up the mac and cheese and hung out.  I can't describe how great it was to be back at home with my family.  I wish my dad could have made it down as well, but it's hard for him to get around as well.  We ate mac and cheese and hung out, and talked for a few hours.  My soul feels restored.  HB and I spent the rest of the night relaxing after an exhausting weekend.  It was perfect.

After the dogs settled down after the excitement of realizing that guests were at our house, they mobbed me.  I almost cried.  It was so nice to sleep in my own bed, and take a shower in our shower.  It was also nice not getting jabbed in the arm every few hours in the middle of the night.  This morning I woke up refreshed and renewed, but still a little weak.  It's crazy how much losing some blood will take it out of you.  For now, I enjoy just slipping back into our weekend routine.  Sundays are always a bipolar mixture of relaxing and chores, and it's just what I needed.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and hugs and messages and phone calls.  I'll promise to try not to have this happen again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ron. So sorry to hear about your ordeal, but glad to hear it's worked out okay. We are praying for you two all of the time. Rock and I want to come out for a visit soon, bring you all some goodies (I'm thinking chocolate chip and candied bacon cookies) and hang out. We'll be in touch soon to see when you guys are free.

    ReplyDelete