Friday, October 14, 2011

The scoop, as I know it

I went in around noon to get the GI scope done.  They think what is causing all of this is a thing called ''portal hypertension".  Basically, my liver is not in good shape, so it can cause a back-flow of blood to the blood vessels and veins in the esophagus and stomach.  They think that the stress induced the bleeding.  There's a surgical procedure that can fix this, but I'm not healthy enough right now to have that done.  They're going to give me some beta blockers to lower my blood pressure a bit, and see if that helps.

The bleeding appears to have stopped, although we won't really know for sure until later tonight when they check my hemoglobin levels.  They gave me one unit of blood, which brought my levels up enough that they shouldn't have to give me another unit, unless the bleeding starts again.

But, I do feel remarkably better, although the GI scope left me with a bit of a sore throat.  They let me eat a liquid diet, so I went crazy and ordered Beef broth, orange sherbet, lemon sherbet, chocolate pudding (because snack packs literally fix everything), and some cream of wheat.  I usually hate cream of wheat, but I was so starving, and it was the closest thing to solid food that I've seen since yesterday at noon, that I gobbled it down.  Between the transfusion, the food, and great company (Thanks, Kara!), I feel 100% better. It looks like unless the bleeding picks back up, I'll be out early tomorrow sometime.  My oncologist from the West Michigan Cancer Center was going to stop over this evening, but has decided that all of this is working, and he doesn't need to change anything the docs are doing over here.  I'm really excited to go home and sleep in my own bed, and cuddle with my 3 girls.  I can't wait.  Thanks for all of your concern, prayers, good vibes, and to those who give blood, and are planning to do it soon.  I would still be doing it, but I don't think anyone wants my blood at this point.  (Who am I kidding, no one wanted it in the first place.)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment